Purchasing Technology for the Classroom
Updated 1 January 2014
Are you thinking of purchasing a video for your class?
- Request a captioned version at the time of purchase.
- If a captioned version is not commercially available, please see our Accessibility By Design website for more information on how to add captioning.
Software or Electronic Tools for Teaching
Are you thinking of purchasing software for your class? Or any other electronic or information technology tool for teaching?
- Consider using the Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) to avoid technological barriers that may inhibit students’ use of the tool.
- Ask for a trial period so the technology can be tested for accessibility before purchase. The ATRC is available to help with technology evaluation.
- Make accessibility a condition of purchase so that vendors are accountable to fix their product in case problems surface after purchase.
Please see our Accessibility By Design website for more information on purchasing with Section 508 guidelines.